“If you’re a comedian and you die and go to heaven, Bill Clinton is your president. If you’re a comedian and you die and go to hell, Barack Obama is your president.”
Robert J. Thompson, director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture at Syracuse University
One of the most interesting things about the article is the laundry list of the president’s comedic failings, all of which are in fact positive attributes that we like about our president:
- He doesn’t have a strong regional accent
- He didn’t have a strange job before his political rise (former peanut farmer Jimmy Carter).
- He doesn’t fall down (Gerald Ford)
- He is not regarded as aging or forgetful (Ronald Reagan)
- He hasn’t been dubbed a “wimp” (George H.W. Bush)
- He is not tainted by scandal (Clinton)
- He doesn’t stumble over the English language (George W. Bush)
Excerpted from this article in today’s LA Times.